Great Lakes Church is a non-denominational, evangelical, charismatic church that exists to love God and to love people.
LEADERSHIP:Our names underneath the picture: John Halvorsen (without the ‘Pastor’)
Mission StatementThe mission of Great Lakes Church is to be God-loving, people-serving, Bible-hungry, Holy Spirit-saturated and mission-minded.
TENETS OF FAITH
The Bible is the only inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God.
John 16:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:21; 1 Thessalonians 2:13.
There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10-11; Matthew 28:19; Luke 3:22; John 14:16.
In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ
John 1:1, 14; 20:28-29; Philippians 2:6-11; Isaiah 9:6; Colossians 2:9.
In His virgin birth
Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:34-35; Isaiah 7:14.
In His sinless life
2Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 4:15; 7:26-27; 1 John 3:5; 1 Peter 2:22.
In His miracles
Matthew 4:23; Luke 6:17-19; John 3:2.
In His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood
Colossians 1:14, 20; Romans 5:8-9; Ephesians 1:7.
In His bodily resurrection
1Corinthians 15: 3-4; Luke 24:4-7, 36-48; Revelation 1:17-18.
In His ascension to the right hand of the Father
Acts 2:33; 5:30-31; 1 Peter 3:22.
In His personal return in power and glory
Acts 1:11; Philippians 2:9-11; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 4:13-18; John 14:1-3.
That justification by faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ and regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for the salvation of lost and sinful man.
Romans 3:24-25; John 3:3-7; 1 John 5:11-13; Ephesians 2:1-16; Revelation 5:9; Acts 4:12; 1 Corinthians 6:11.
Core Values:The following are the core values of our church:
- We believe that God loved the world so much He gave his only Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins, resurrect from the dead, and ascend to Heaven, which made a way for us to be in right relationship with Him again. Whoever believes, repents and chooses to follow Him will have eternal life (John 3:16).
- Anyone who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and places his/her faith in Him for salvation makes up the church (body of Christ), of which Jesus is the head (Ephesians 1:22-23).
- We believe living in relationship with God and loving others are the defining characteristics of the church (John 17:3; John 17:20-23; Matthew 22:37-38).
- We believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit, living in responsive sensitivity to Him, and the functioning of the spiritual gifts are the natural out workings of a relationship with God. Our interactions reflect this, including our services during which there is worship and opportunities for gifts to function under leadership oversight.
- We believe in the fivefold ministry that was established in Ephesians 4:11-16, where Christ gave the gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers to the church. Their purpose is to equip God’s people to do His work and build up the church. Every gift represents different parts of the body. All function differently, but work together to make the body fit together perfectly (vs. 16).
- We believe the Lord gives the church authority to heal the sick (Matthew 10:8); make disciples and baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:18-20); and gives us power to be His witnesses all around the world through the Holy Spirit’s influence (Acts 1:8).
- We believe each person has been uniquely and beautifully created by God, and walking into what God has destined for our lives is the greatest privilege we could ever have. Our oneness in Christ does not destroy our individuality.
- We believe Jesus (the Bridegroom) is returning for His church (His bride), who is becoming what the scriptures say about her (Ephesians 2:4; Ephesians 5:26-27; Romans 8:29-30; Revelation 5:9-10) by growing in relationship to Him and stepping out in her role to see His Kingdom come and will be done on earth as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10).
- Prayer is a core value of our personal and corporate lives. As individuals and as a congregation we actively pray for each other, cities and nations. Prayer meetings are available every week at this church.
- We actively pursue unity in the body of Christ by investing in relationships with other church leaders and congregations. We happily participate in community prayer gatherings as they are needed to strengthen the universal body of Christ.
- Outreach is important to Great Lakes Church. We have the privilege and mandate to welcome the disenfranchised and reach out to those in need in our city. We have a vision for bringing the church (as defined by the Bible) out of the church building to the Twin Ports region and the world. The church’s hope is to help reconcile people to the Father and to help them enter into their true destiny—right relationship with Jesus Christ, others, and themselves.