Senior Pastor John Halvorsen
Overlooking the blue waters of Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota, and its sister city, Superior Wisconsin, Duluth, Minnesota were settled in the late 1800’s and were boom towns at the turn of the 20th century due to mining, logging and the twin ports. It is a place of great natural beauty which many locals and tourists enjoy especially in the temperate summer, extravagantly colorful autumns and during winter sports season. Outside Magazine has ranked Duluth as one of the Best Towns in America.
On Sunday, August 29th, 2010, John Halvorsen was installed as our Senior Pastor having received an overwhelming approval vote from the Members of GLC. Pastor John and his wife, Sandy, have completed their calling to World Prayer Walk, and have returned home to begin their leadership with us at Great Lakes Church. We are over joyed at the faithfulness of our God and certainly His timing is perfect! We anticipate great and mighty works as God continues to lead us as a congregation under the leadership of John and Sandy.
We are a Bible based church and hold to the basic tenets of the Christian faith. We are nondenominational and are affiliated with Omega Team, an International Apostolic Network of Ministers, Ministries & Churches (Omega Team: www.omegateam.org)
Six of our basic characteristics are:
1. We believe that living in relationship with God is the defining characteristic of the church (John 17: 20 -23) and that the baptism of the Holy Spirit, living in responsive sensitivity to him, and the functioning of the spiritual gifts are the natural outworkings of this. Our interactions reflect this, including our services during which our musicians lead us in worship and there is opportunity for gifts to function under leadership oversight.
2. We believe that each person has been uniquely created by God for God and that restoration to relationship with God holds the key to life. (John 17:3) The church’s message is that of reconciliation and to call each person up to their destiny- right relationship to God, with others, themselves and the world. We believe that leadership’s role is to “equip the saints (no comma) for the work of the ministry” so that as “each joint supplies” the church “upbuilds itself in love” and grows to “the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ”. (Ephesians 4:11-16)
3. We believe that Jesus is returning for his Church who is becoming what the scriptures say about her (Ephesians 2:4 Ephesians 5: 26-27, Romans 8:29-30, Revelation 5: 9-10) and that as she grows in her relationship with him and her identity, she will intentionally step up to the plate to play her God designated and significant role to see his “Kingdom come” and his “will be done on earth as in Heaven”.
4. Prayer is a core value of our corporate life. As individuals and as a congregation we actively pray for each other, individuals in our lives and neighborhood, our community, our region and beyond. We look for opportunities to pray and participate in the National Day of Prayer and Rise to the Call community prayer gatherings.
5. Because we believe that there is One Christian Church we actively pursue unity by investing in relationships with other church leaders and congregations. We participate in the Lincoln Park annual unity service, church neighborhood outreach block party, community Christian worship services, community Christian prayer gatherings, and other Christian meetings across congregational and denominational boundaries. Our Youth group meets weekly with other Christian youth groups in our area.
6. Outreach is important to Great Lakes Church. We have purposed to welcome the disenfranchised and reach out to the neighborhood that we are located in. For our neighbors we have weekly programs for children and youth, sponsor a free weekly meal with appropriate programming during the school year and host monthly barbeques in the summer. We have a drama team that ministers to us and out in the community.
We have a vision for bringing the Church (as defined by the Bible) out of the church (as defined by the building) to the community, Twin Ports region and the world.